Search Our Website
Solving Peeling Problemsnxtlm2021-05-17T09:41:44-04:00
Loss of paint due to poor adhesion. Where there is a primer and top coat, or multiple coats of paint, peeling may involve some or all coats.
- Seepage of moisture through uncaulked joints, worn caulk or leaks in roof or walls.
- Excess moisture escaping through the exterior walls (more likely if paint is oil-based).
- Inadequate surface preparation.
- Use of lower quality paint.
- Applying an oil-based paint over a wet surface.
- Earlier blistering of paint (see Blistering).
- Try to identify and eliminate souce of moisture. Prepare surface by removing all loose paint with scraper or stiff wire brush, sand rough edges, and apply appropriate primer. Repaint with a top quality acrylic latex exterior paint for best adhesion and water resistance.
Note: Images & information provided by The Rohm & Hass Paint Quality Institute.