Concentration of water-soluble ingredients on the surface of a latex paint, typically on a ceiling surface in rooms that have high humidity (e.g., shower, bathroom, kitchen); may be evident as tan or brown spots or areas, and can sometimes be glossy, soapy or sticky.
- All latex paint formulas will exhibit this tendency to some extent if applied in areas that become humid (bathrooms, for example), especially in ceiling areas.
- Wash the affected area with soap and water, and rinse.
- Problem may occur once or twice again before leachable material is completely removed.
- When paint is applied in a bathroom, it is helpful to have it dry thoroughly before using the shower.
- Remove all staining before repainting.
Note: Images & information provided by The Rohm & Hass Paint Quality Institute.